The Hair I've Always Wanted

Ever since I was about eight, I've wanted red hair. I thought it was the best color in the world.



But my hair is dirt-brown.



And since I'm allergic to basically everything, and I know how dangerous it is to load your scalp up with poison, I figured I'd be stuck brown forever, or at least until the grey won out.

A few weeks ago I got a packet of Henna hair conditioner for review. I learned a few things while researching it.

henna, hair dye, natural hair color
image from http://www.meghaproducts.com/products.php?prod=henna


Henna is made from a plant whose leaves are dried out and crushed. You add water and it makes a green paste that smells like grass, but it stains red. The henna I got is a conditioning treatment, and it colors the hair as a side effect.

I mixed half the powder with water until it was a thick paste, and let it sit for a few hours, as per the instructions. Then I separated my hair out, worked the henna in one section at a time, and covered it with a plastic bag and a headscarf and let it do it's work for a few more hours (it was an all-day event).




I washed it out with hot water and soap, made a huge mess, and ended up with the perfect color.

    

(the photos aren't great, I apologize!)

Also my hair had this great texture, and felt thicker and stronger. I did it three weeks ago and the color was starting to fade (I use a very rough soap) so I did it again this weekend.

   

 In these photos, I was experimenting with my Remington curling brush/wand, so my hair has some shape. More on that later.





All in all, I'm super happy with it. My hair looks and feels great. it's made it stronger and healthier (and definitely thicker) and the color is gorgeous. #finallyginger.

The only issue I found is how messy it is! You have to be careful not to get it on your scalp, or on your hands. It stains orange. It would probably look great if someone had done it to me, but I don't have anyone to do it.


But I love it, and will continue doing it! It's super affordable, and I love the result! This is the henna I used. I also just bought this henna as well, and I'll let you know how it works after I use it!


Comments

Popular Posts